Buffalo Chicken SoupWhile my favorite season may be titled as “Fall or Autumn,” I have another name for the season of the year that makes me feel all warm and joyful inside. It’s called: Soup Season ♥!
The soup being featured this week is not only healthy, but it’s a tad bit more tasty with a little added kick. Not of your typical chicken noodle variety, but one that’s even better! This soup is creamy, hearty, and lightly spiced with Frank’s RedHot. It comes together in under 40 minutes and makes a great weeknight meal or appetizer. It’s perfect for chilly fall weather, or when you just need some simple comfort food. It tastes delicious served with shredded cheese and a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream. With a satisfying flavor like buffalo chicken, it’s hard to go wrong!
- 1/4 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup half and half or whole milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (or 2- 12.5 oz. cans of chicken)
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Franks Hot Sauce, depending on spice preference
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 Carrots chopped into round cirlces
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- blue cheese crumbles and fresh flat leaf parsley for garnish
Directions:1. Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and the celery and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and allow to cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes more. 2. Slowly stir the half-and-half and chicken stock into the mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time allowing the mixture to thicken before adding more. Once all the liquid is added,
stir in the chicken, Franks Hot Sauce, and Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stirring occasionally, allow the soup to simmer until the the cheese has melted completely, about 10 minutes. Add up to an additional 1 cup of water or chicken stock to reach your desired soup thickness.
4. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with crumbles of blue cheese and fresh flat leaf parsley. Serve with a garden salad topped with Blue Cheese or Ranch Style dressing.